and the more I learn about the culture/faith, the more I know that I would be the worst Mormon in the world.
- I don’t see myself getting married, but if I did, I’d like my friends and family to be able to be there
- I definitely don’t want kids
- I am staunchly pro-choice
- I’m pro same-sex marriage
- I’m pro gay adoption
- I can curse in 5 languages
- I love tank tops
- I work in a wine bar
- I hate dressing up to worship
- I don’t think tithes should be tied to your status in the afterlife
- Tithing in general puts me on edge
- I can’t imagine a life without chai lattés
- I like tattoos
- I don’t think that consensual, informed, safe sex before marriage is a big deal (it actually ties in with being pro-choice)
- I’m uncomfortable with ornate places of worship
- I think missions sound tortuous
I realize going through this list that a lot of this is why I wouldn’t make a good Christian of any denomination. (And that’s without even beginning on my many many many questions about the bible.)
There are things that Mormons do that I think are great, like subsidizing higher education at their universities, emphasizing the importance of the family, providing genealogies for non-members. (Note to self: go get that done already.) It’s just not a lifestyle for me.
That being said, I do want to go to a meeting someday, just to see it all in person. I wish three hours didn’t seem so daunting.
Ouch. We’re not that bad 😦