There is a website called spokeo.com that aggregates your personal info which ANYONE can have access to for as little as $2.95! Even without paying they can see things like
- Your full name
- Your address, INCLUDING A PICTURE OF YOUR HOUSE AND ITS APPROX. WORTH
- Your home phone number
- Marital status
- Names of family members
IT IS THE CREEPIEST FUCKING THING I’VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!
I go out of my way not to put my name on this site and sometimes I think I’m being over the top but no, I remind myself, you never want to give away things that someone could use to track you down and kill you with and I JUST SAW A PICTURE OF MY GODDAMN HOUSE ON THE INTERNET. I am livid and freaked out.
You can have your info removed.
- Go to the site
- Search your name
- Copy the url that matches you, which will look something like this “http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Smith%20Sample#Sample:12345678”
- Go back to the home page
- Scroll down to the bottom and click privacy
- Paste the url and your email (I was reticent about this but considering they already knew everything else about me…)
- You’ll get an email about a minute or so later with a link to click to confirm the removal
I don’t even have words right now.