Crossing the Border

Let’s just be honest: I was really really nervous about it. I’d gone above and beyond what they asked for but I knew that the fact of the matter was they could still say no and there would be nothing I could do about it. A significant part of me wanted to turn around and go home myself rather than be sent home by the powers that be. I knew I’d always regret it if I did though, so I loaded up  my car and at about 3 a.m. got on the 5 north.

I didn’t actually intend to leave that early but, I couldn’t sleep so I figured what was the point of staring at the ceiling for a couple more hours when I could just go and get it over with.

Life imitates life I guess because the road there wasn’t smooth. I hit something–something that was already in the road and dead, or at least dying–big enough to send me fishtailing for about 3 seconds and strong enough to knock the back hubcap off my car (though I didn’t realize it until later). I pulled over to check my front tire and it seemed to be fine. It put things in perspective for me that being stranded in the middle of the night 1000+ miles from home was far scarier than being told that I couldn’t cross an imaginary line.

I got to the border at 4 something. I was the only car at the only lane open. I was sent inside again, but I knew I would be, and I spoke to an officer. He asked what had happened on Friday and I explained to the best of my ability. He glanced at my paperwork; I asked him to read me the contents of my file–

which, seriously: annoyance.

Subject says she lives at  one address but we found a PO Box in her email.”


We also have a difference of opinion about the purpose of my trip but no point in dwelling on frustrating things. He stapled a document into my passport, which allows me to be here until Aug. 1st and if things happen job-wise then I can come in and file for a work visa which was always my plan glad we’re on the same page CBSA!

I got to the house that I’m staying at at about 5:30 a.m. I felt a little bad waking up my roommates so early but I needed to pee.

I brought a few things in, took a nap for a few hours, met everyone, went to Best Buy to get a phone, ate a cinnamon roll at Solly’s on Yukon & 7th,

came back, unpacked some, got dinner, had “hocho” (hot chocolate on the back deck) with my roommates and went to bed.

Yesterday, I got up, went to try a different cinnamon roll at Grounds for Coffee on Alma & 10th

caught up on LOST, went grocery shopping, had a samosa for the 2nd time in my life and considered starting residency paperwork. I don’t know. It’s a lot to compile but I would love the freedom of being to come here whenever I want.

About J.

A former twentysomething with a head full of curls and heart full of questions wondering: when we get to nirvana, will there be food?
This entry was posted in Canada Files, Foodie Files and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s